Kreg Owners' Community

On woodsmith and other places they use double backed tape to hold things. Any recommendations on brands and where do you buy yours or any double back carpet tape will it work ?

Views: 1546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gary, Rockler sells it, it's called double sided turners tape it's 19.95 for a roll that is 1" x 36 yards. I tried regular carpet tape but that stuff sticks too good. you have a hard time removing it, also the turners tape isn't as thick either, Woodcraft also sells it but they just call it double sided tape

When I did the cutout for my router plate, I just used 3M double stick tape from Lowes. 

Best stuff I've found so far is Duck Brand from Wal-Mart. Lasts a long time as you only need small amounts at a time so I don't recall exactly how much it was, pretty sure under $5. Roll is 1.4" x 42'

I buy at Menards   2 in   and score it down the middle and use only half   works for me
Joseph, the stuff I used from rockler is strong and it is easy to peel the backing off of and it does release pretty easy also

Joseph Murro said:

I also need to find better tape.  I used some once on my miter saw and it was very difficult to get off, even with a razor.  I think it might have been a 3M brand tape from Walmart.  Been gun shy of using it ever since.  Maybe I will try what Woodcraft or Rockler has.

I haven't found any "easy" to remove. I suppose anything very easy also wouldn't work very well. Best method I have found is to rub it until it starts to ball up and then just continue. Worst I've ever tried is Rhino from Home Depot. Not only does it not hold wood very well it is extremely difficult to remove. The foam stuff holds pretty well and isn't bad to remove but likes to "wiggle" just a little when you bump it sideways. Not a good thing for templates and guide strips.

The double-sided foam style tape, is ''unsuitable'' for securing wood.

As mentioned above, slight movement occurs---which is not suitable for me.

I've had success using very thin, double-sided tape---like the type found in office supple stores.

Double-sided tape, can be removed by using a ''rolling'' motion---just rub it with a rolling motion, so it balls-up, to remove it.

I use ''WD-40'', to remove the tape/adhesive, from metal surfaces.

Spray on a light coating, wait a few seconds, then use a rolling motion---it balls up, and is easily removable.

Rubbing alcohol, will also work---but requires more effort and time.

I have used the Duck brand carpet tape from Home Depot with success. However the stuff I got from Craft Supplies USA is insane. That stuff really works.
Hi Johnny - much is the stuff from Craft supplies? I checked Rockler and 20 bucks a roll is a tad rich for my blood.
Would that crafts store be like a Michaels, or AC more?

I checked out Rocklers, double-stick tape today---

it contains a very thin layer of the foam material, between each layer of adhesive film.

It's marketed for use, in turning operations.

One of the guys, who works there, said he uses it, for joinery and on his router table, and that it does a very satisfactory job.

Use it sparingly---only a small amount, like 1" square piece sizes, placed in strategic locations, is all that is needed.

The roll is one-inch wide by 36yds long, and sells for $20---

that equates to 56 cents per square in.

Pricey!!!

I believe I'll keep looking for a suitable alternative, that is more economical.

21 big ones for 108 ft. Prolly a bit on the spendy side.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_