Kreg Owners' Community

I am thinking about using the Kreg system to fasten 1" cherry boards

to make my kitchen counter tops. I quizzed the Kreg rep ant the Atlanta wood working show over the weekend he said there should not be a problem at all and would work fine with no glue,which sounds good to me but I would rather only do it once. Any feed back would appreciated.

Thanks  

Views: 219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Screws will hold but joints are not sealed. Is Cherry a good idea for a counter top ? Check with a lumber co.
I did this with a small vanity top from 1" oak. I haven't used it yet because the seams are so obvious on the ends once routered with a decorative edge. This happened because it was planed from rough lumber and the edges were not perfect. Once fitted together there were some small gaps. So, make sure the edges that fit together are absolutely perfect!
I would love to see pictures!
Kim- Did you have any edge banding around the top where you routed it?

Kim Carroll said:
I did this with a small vanity top from 1" oak. I haven't used it yet because the seams are so obvious on the ends once routered with a decorative edge. This happened because it was planed from rough lumber and the edges were not perfect. Once fitted together there were some small gaps. So, make sure the edges that fit together are absolutely perfect!
I would love to see pictures!
There is a great article this month in Fine Homebuilding this month using Cherry counter tops,they do apear to be glued
which I can do also. I am a month away from finishing the cabinets so I have plenty of time for more research and feed back
I will post pic's as I am nearing the end
Thanks for the reply

Henry Parslow said:
Screws will hold but joints are not sealed. Is Cherry a good idea for a counter top ? Check with a lumber co.
No, I was determined to try it without them... needless to say it didn't meet my expectations.

Anthony Lanting said:
Kim- Did you have any edge banding around the top where you routed it?

Kim Carroll said:
I did this with a small vanity top from 1" oak. I haven't used it yet because the seams are so obvious on the ends once routered with a decorative edge. This happened because it was planed from rough lumber and the edges were not perfect. Once fitted together there were some small gaps. So, make sure the edges that fit together are absolutely perfect!
I would love to see pictures!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Recent Workbench Survey Legitimacy

Yesterday, I received an email wanting my opinion on Kreg adding high end workbenches to their product line and wanted to know before I clicked the link if this is a legitimate survey or some phishing scam. Here's the link I was provided (…Continue

Started by JOHN W. GOETZ in Other Kreg® Products Dec 10, 2021.

Pantry slides for heavy application

  Recently purchased two 96" tall pantry cabinets that are 23" deep that only came with two adjustable shelves and two fixed, (one at about 55" and one at the very bottom).  Shelf holes in the walls are drilled 2" O.C.  Like most store-bought…Continue

Tags: drawer, slides, pantry, pull-out, 75-Lb

Started by Paul Coon in General Woodworking Aug 11, 2021.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2022   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_