Kreg Owners' Community

I regularly make tenons using a large tenoning bit on my router which gives me 3/4" tenon length. It's a CMT grand rabbet bit and making tenons with it takes me about 30 secs- its just a matter of running the bit around the stock using the guide bearing. Has anyone else made tenons like this? I've never had any issues with strength- i think a 3/4" tenon is strong enough for most applications, however a couple of pins through it increases the strength quite a bit. How do you guys make tenons? Router table? Table saw and tenoning jig? table saw and dado stack? band saw? Is there anyone here making tenons with a hand saw?

Views: 793

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

can you post a link-to or pic-of your router bit? sounds intriguing! but 3/4" depth sounds pretty shallow (especially in a chair)

edit: just noticed the pic you had in the post - thanks!

John, yeah 3/4" is pretty shallow but I still haven't had any strength issues with the projects I've made- they've all been tables and a baby change table and from my experience, a 3/4" tenon sotting snugly in mortise is far stronger than a dowelled or kregged joint.

I've found 3/4'' adequate, for most applications.

1/2'' adequate for 1/2'' stock.

Thru-tenons are a nice touch, for some projects.

YES---I've made tenons using

• hand held router---better and faster than a hand saw
  • router table ---best for most applications---cabinet,  furniture making and fine wood working
  • table saw---single blade and dado blades, prior to having a router table
  • miter slide saw---making rough tenons in 2x stock
  • hand saw, chisel and mallet and air operated palm nailer hammer/chisel---rough tenons
  • band saw for some rough joints in larger timber---such as in 6x6 deck posts---not suitable for fine woodworking

CMT's tenon cutting router bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90AfqEjTapA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_