Kreg Owners' Community

What is a good inexpensive brad/finish nailer.  I've looked at the Stanley TRE550 nail gun and the ryobi nailer/stapler.  Really don't have the money to buy an air compressor and a pneumatic nailer.

Views: 1232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Harbor Freight has a brad nailer that sells on sale for $20. I have one and it works fairly well, you have to run the pressure high about 90 psi for it to work properly. This gun is not for continious everyday use, but for normal usage OK. Not as many adjustments as my Stanley. Also Home Depot runs specials every so often on compressor with finish nailer, not sure of prices now.
You might look at Grizzly tools I have a 18 gauge for5 years and use it maybe 2 times a week and it is just as good as day 1,I believe I paid in 28-30 for it. But I would get a 16 or 15 gauge and it would be a good all around nail gun for average person.Just a little heavier brad
I think a cheap brad nailer would cause you more problems and make your life miserable. I bought a 15ga Porter Cable finish nailer and it has performed flawlesly. Granted I don't do production work. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I don't think it was too much.
second on the porter cable, have had 3 different sizes, all continue to perform flawlessly.
I have 3 as well. The 15ga, 18ga, and 23ga pin nailer. Never an issue with any of them.
Grizzly is having half off sell on 23ga pin nailer they make good stuff. About $75. http://grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=pin%20nailer&n...

Gary roofner said:
Grizzly is having half off sell on 23ga pin nailer they make good stuff. About $75. It's a porter cable nailer http://grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=pin%20nailer&n...
HI John - I'm almost sure you won't be happy with a electric nailer, I've had about 4 different brands and the best one has been the Powershot from Home Depot and it's only marginal at best IMHO. I am big on recon equipment though and you can get a recon pancake compressor for around $100. This is the one I've got:
http://www.cpoworkshop.com/factory-reconditioned-porter-cable-c2002...

As far as which nailer, depends on what you are doing, I have 16 guage, 18 guage nailer and stapler and a 23 guage headless pinner. Also a framing nailer for when I get really ticked off. The one I use most in the shop is the 23 guage pinner (Porter Cable). For installing trim and such, I use the 18 guage brad nailer (Hitachi). My opinion is Hitachi is seriously under rated and Porter Cable seriously over rated, I have about an equal number of each and don't see a nickles worth of difference in performance. Much more than a nickle in price though.
Once you use a brad nailer you will never use a hammer again... It's a night and day diff... But I agree the tools vary in quality and design... So do your home work is the only thing I can suggest... I also have a variety and depending on the job .. But the most used in the shop is the 23 ga very nice for light trims and holding glue ups items ... How I got along without one ,, who knows... The 18 ga. gets most used for trim and board to board items.. These shoot staples and brads from 1inch to 3 inch.. A compressor is a must... and with the right sale... They are the best .... Understand the money thing,, and if you talk to anyone who works with tools... Buy what you can afford and then upgrade when you can... Always new toys to play with and buy... And when you upgrade,, you can hand me down to another worker... Nice way to make a friend...

I was looking for a pin nailer ordered from grizzly. Sale is internet only. I was going to pickup at store tommrow but cost $30 more at the store.
Gary roofner said:

Gary roofner said:
Grizzly is having half off sell on 23ga pin nailer they make good stuff. About $75. It's a porter cable nailer http://grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=pin%20nailer&n...
John, I've had a ridgid 18 ga. brad nailer that came from home depot for about three years now and I never had any problems with it, it never even jammed one time on me has adjustment for air pressure and nail depth. I used with both a full size compressor and a 3 gallon pancake compressor I picked up at harbor frt for about 50.00 on sale both worked great
Hmm pricey but I have a Dewalt cordless that works like a charm (18ga)

KLW

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_