Kreg Owners' Community

I am looking for preferably for a portable 10" table saw due to space limitations.  Over the last year I have been trying to determine to either go with the Bosch 4100-09 or with the Makita 2705.

My concerns with each are as follows and I would like to know if anyone of you can chime in and provide some insight.

The Bosch has been my first choice until I heard that there has been a wiring and a bearing issue.  Albeit a recent issue of Fine Homebuilding stated that Bosch has fixed the issue.

Hence I began looking at the Makita in November; however, I understand that there is an issue with the fence and that the miter slot is not a standard size, which would prevent me from using the the Kreg precision miter for instance.

So...can any of you please help me?

Thanks.

Views: 15189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

your'e a hardcore woodworker Mr waller. If i had to do that much to use my tools they would get very little work. i am also in the market for a portable table saw. those two are on the top of my list.
When I was looking to upgrade my saw a few months back the Bosch was on my short list of candidates ( the other was the Rigid TS3650/3660, I need movable but not necessarily portable) due to the outstanding reviews on various woodworking sites. I ended up finding a deal on a slightly used TS3660 so I went that way, so I can't quite comment on the bearing reports on the Bosch.

Fine Woodworking did a review of 6 portables in their 2010 Tools & Shops Annual issue and they didn't make any mention of the miter slots on the Makita, and they seemed to hit on most of the quirks for the individual saws. If, however, you have found something different about the slots, then that would be a deal-breaker in my book if you want to use an aftermarket gauge. The Bosch got their top marks overall, with the Rigid R4510 coming in a close second.
Will Stanley I know you all are talking about a small table saw I have been working on the same saw for the last 5 years and the top is 20" x 15" and my saw was made in 1965 by cratfsmen it is hrad to get any big stuff it to cut and room being what it is but in the long run you whod be batter off getting a bigger table saw

I also am limited in space (10x16). Based on the specs, reviews, video on YouTube, and Bosch's reputation I decided on the Bosch 4100 with the gravity rise stand (bought in Sept 08). I must admit I have not heard anything about a wiring or bearing issue. I have had no problems with this saw.
This is a first class, well engineered, well built saw. All the critical adjustments (blade vertical, parallel to mitre slot, fence parallel to blade, etc) were dead-on right out of the box. I installed a Freud thin kerf blade with stabilizing plate (highly recommend a thin kerf blade). I bought the side and back extensions which greatly increase the usability of the saw. Even though the miter slot is a T-slot, it accepts 3rd party accessories.
The stand is a beautifully engineered device. I don't anticipate taking this around a lot like a contractor, but I sure do like that I can fold it up and stick it in the corner when not in use and gain some space back. I am very impressed and pleased with this saw and easily recommend it.
Get the Ridgid r4510. It's alot cheaper, on par with the Bosch, better fence and warranty. I bought it 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. Just make sure it's the r4510 and not the ts2410 because they look similar. The r4510 is the latest model with the split blade guard, riving knife, adjustable splitter, better stand and bigger on/off switch. The only downside so far is the dado insert plate is on back order and you'll have to make your own zero clearance throat plate. I got mine for $450 by using a Lowe's 10% off coupon at Home Depot (get a change of address packet at the post office, it'll include the coupon).
Thanks Bernie for your comments.

One question...has there been any issue using the thn kerf blade and the riving knife?

Thanks again!!

Stan

Bernie Hall said:
I also am limited in space (10x16). Based on the specs, reviews, video on YouTube, and Bosch's reputation I decided on the Bosch 4100 with the gravity rise stand (bought in Sept 08). I must admit I have not heard anything about a wiring or bearing issue. I have had no problems with this saw.
This is a first class, well engineered, well built saw. All the critical adjustments (blade vertical, parallel to mitre slot, fence parallel to blade, etc) were dead-on right out of the box. I installed a Freud thin kerf blade with stabilizing plate (highly recommend a thin kerf blade). I bought the side and back extensions which greatly increase the usability of the saw. Even though the miter slot is a T-slot, it accepts 3rd party accessories.
The stand is a beautifully engineered device. I don't anticipate taking this around a lot like a contractor, but I sure do like that I can fold it up and stick it in the corner when not in use and gain some space back. I am very impressed and pleased with this saw and easily recommend it.
I have the the Makita 2703 and the Rousseau stand and it works great the price is about the same the benifit with this set up is it is easy to set up and break down not only that but I cut in a router insert for my router . the fence is a t-fence it always square with the blade. The max ripping is about 30 "maybe little less . For more information goto (rousseau.com)
Thanks Phil. I will look into this saw.

One question...how is the dust collection / evacuation working on the saw?

Phil Howard said:
Get the Ridgid r4510. It's alot cheaper, on par with the Bosch, better fence and warranty. I bought it 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. Just make sure it's the r4510 and not the ts2410 because they look similar. The r4510 is the latest model with the split blade guard, riving knife, adjustable splitter, better stand and bigger on/off switch. The only downside so far is the dado insert plate is on back order and you'll have to make your own zero clearance throat plate. I got mine for $450 by using a Lowe's 10% off coupon at Home Depot (get a change of address packet at the post office, it'll include the coupon).
the dust collection is fine hook it up to the shop vac and go

Stanley C. Pearse said:

Phil Howard said:
The dust collection is great on it. Also, when you fold the saw/stand into the stored position it only takes up a few square feet of space. From all of the reviews I've read it looks like Ridgid used the Bosch as it's benchmark... they are both very similar.

Stanley C. Pearse said:

Phil Howard said:
Thanks again Phil. I stopped by at HD last night on my way home from work and took a gander at it. You are right about the dust collection system...very simular to the Bosch.

I am intrigued about the Lifetime Warranty...have you seen any issues with it? Thinking about it...if Bosch is such a great product why don't they have one on their saw??? Hummmm.....

Phil Howard said:
The dust collection is great on it. Also, when you fold the saw/stand into the stored position it only takes up a few square feet of space. From all of the reviews I've read it looks like Ridgid used the Bosch as it's benchmark... they are both very similar.

Stanley C. Pearse said:

Phil Howard said:
Don't get me wrong, the Bosch is a great product but to get a setup similar to the Ridgid you will pay $300-400 more for the Bosch. That's what helped make my decision easier.

Stanley C. Pearse said:
Thanks again Phil. I stopped by at HD last night on my way home from work and took a gander at it. You are right about the dust collection system...very simular to the Bosch.

I am intrigued about the Lifetime Warranty...have you seen any issues with it? Thinking about it...if Bosch is such a great product why don't they have one on their saw??? Hummmm.....

Phil Howard said:

Stanley C. Pearse said:

Phil Howard said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_