Kreg Owners' Community

I'm going to be building a portable podium for my church, and I'm planning on 4 curved legs like a candle stand - my question is, should I be attaching those legs with mortise and tenon, or will the pocket hole screws hold up to that sort of abuse?

Views: 1627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what are the dimensions of the "post"?
Forgot to mention that, sorry. The post Is 1 1/2 square cut to a octagon and the top is 16x28. I'd prefer a larger post so that I can do M&T but they want a small post so you can grab it with one hand. Thus I don't think a tenon will have room.
I was looking through some of my old woodworking magazines last night and found something similar to what you're doing. It only had 3 feet instead of 4. The post was cut into an octagon like you're doing, also. They did something like a sliding dovetail in the legs that went into a groove in the post.
Seemed pretty strong.
So, do you think a pocket hole would have the strength in place of the dovetails here, or would I need to go to them to prevent the wood being pulled apart?
I thought I had posted a reply to this but apparently I only typed it up and never actually added it. Anyway I would probably use dowels and only three legs. The dowels would be as strong as the small mortise and tenon that you have room for there and would be easier to cut than the sliding dovetails. Three legs would make it more steady on uneven floors than four legs. I do not think that this is a good application of pocket screws, if the glue fails, the screws can easily rip out in this application. I am a fan of pocket hole joinery but it does have it's limitations, in my opinion this is one of them.

Chris Lindell said:
So, do you think a pocket hole would have the strength in place of the dovetails here, or would I need to go to them to prevent the wood being pulled apart?
I talked to a guy at work who's done something similar before and he thought I should give it a bigger base, so I went to a 3x3 that tapers up to the 1.5x1.5 quickly. I don't have a dowling jig, so will do either dovetail or mortise and tenon. I'm thinking I could still probably get away with pocket holes to attach the top and top braces though.

Whatever works for you. A couple of dowel centers is all the jig you would need to use dowels in this application. Rockler has a set of 8 for less than $7.00. But there is nothing wrong with the sliding dovetails if you are set up to cut them accurately, lots more glue surface than dowels, that's for sure.

Chris Lindell said:
I talked to a guy at work who's done something similar before and he thought I should give it a bigger base, so I went to a 3x3 that tapers up to the 1.5x1.5 quickly. I don't have a dowling jig, so will do either dovetail or mortise and tenon. I'm thinking I could still probably get away with pocket holes to attach the top and top braces though.

My concern would be the placement of the screws. Putting screws in from that many directions in such a small post you can possibly run into the problem of the screws hitting one another. Other than that I do not see using screws being a problem. In my experience, they would definitely be stronger than dowels.

If you were wanting to do four legs, the strongest would be to make the legs interlock then insert them into the post. For example, instead of having four individual legs have two legs intersect to make it look like an X. Then notch out your post and slide the leg assembly into the post. If that makes any sense .

Pocket-holes would definitely be fine for putting the top on.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_