Kreg Owners' Community

Now, I like this plywood, but like everything else, their description is some what erroneous. They really do not have a real description of this on their website and the employees only know what they have been told. The problem I am finding is this; while most of the plywood at HD is undersized, some where around .708, this plywood now measures out at .701. I measured about 10 sheets. I thought at first I was doing something wrong. I wasn't.

So now 18mm plywood is like 17.5mm and being called 3/4. My question is this, why couldn't I place a pair of washers under the drill bit setup block and then adjust the stop. I actually drilled through the floor of my K5 jig when the stop collar was set at 3/4". I mean we are looking at a loss of 1/16" of material overall. In a couple of instances a couple of screws have popped the veneer. I am thinking that that little adjustment with the washers would stop that from happening. These are cabinet carcasses, but a protruding point of a screw can really open up some flesh. 

Thanks

Views: 554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David,

Position the stop collar 1/16" closer to the drill bit tip, which will result in the hole not being drilled as deep, as as it would be when at the 3/4" setting.

I recommend making sample test pieces, of the same material thickness, as the final product.

Assemble and double check that the screw point has not protrude thru the mating work-piece.

Works for me.

After doing a few, you'll get the hang of it.

Thanks Ken, I am using a piece of spring steel 1/16' thick under the drill bit height block on the K5. Moves the collar closer to the tip. Works like a charm. 

David,

FYI---most plywoods available from Home Centers, are the same thickness.

1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" is the nominal thickness.

The "actual" thickness may vary.

I generally carry my dial calipers with me when selecting the desired material.

Sometimes, I've had to sort thru a few from the same batch, to find what I'm looking for to build a specific project.

There are router bits on the market, that have a cutting diameter, for the thinner plywoods.

These router bits are intended for making dados, to accomodate the thinner plywoods.

David,

A set of automotive feeler gauges, are handy in my tool box, for many tasks that require fine tuning.

These gauges are available in short and long leafs, as well as those that have a bent end.

The bent ones come in very handy when working in limited access areas.

The leafs can be used individually or in multiples, to achive the desired thickness.

I use all types, in one form or another.

Shim stock is also very useful as spacers, to have on hand, to use as setup gauges.

Brass shim stock is readily available at Hobby Craft stores.

I purchase them in 12" lengths, and cut them shorter to facilitate my needs, for a specific function.

Washers are suitable; however, the thickness varies from one source or another.

I check these with calipers.

For the desired shims I keep on-hand, I engrave the thickness on the object itself, 

so as to be readily identifiable.

The markings on the metal can be achieved using an engraving tool.

David Pettinger said:

Thanks Ken, I am using a piece of spring steel 1/16' thick under the drill bit height block on the K5. Moves the collar closer to the tip. Works like a charm. 

It's not just the big box stores. Even cabinet grade domestic sheets are narrow. I've purchased a new dado stack and new router bits specifically for plywood because, like you've observed, 1/4" is actually 3/16", 1/2" is 15/32" at most, etc.

Unless I'm milling solid wood panels, I rarely use a "true-to-size" dado stack or router bit anymore, especially for tongue and groove, and dados.

Since under sized sheet goods are now the standard, it makes sense for Kreg to offer a jig specific to plywood. Or maybe a micro-adjustable jig.

Until then, like others, I'll continue to rely on a little guess work and experience and try to remember to set my bit depth a little shallow, or shim my jig, or some other trick, e a c h a n d e v e r y time I'm working with plywood. It's not exactly the best recipe for consistency and accuracy but what are we to do? (hint, hint)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_