Kreg Owners' Community

I checked with my Lowes and they have 8 on order haven't gotten any yet.

Views: 10049

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John have you looked at this jig  http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PPS-2.html this could be use with wider pieces.

John I'm not sure whats going on but looks like they may have dropped the guide. I was talking about here is a review http://www.pennstateind.com/panelsaw.html. Its a good guide will cut any sheet goods and has good clamping system. Can clamp and cut over 8ft material the guide rail has slot underneath for 1/4 20 bolt hold down. 

Hi Gary - that's their portable panel cutting jig. I believe it has been discontinued as I no longer see it on their website. That one looked good. One of the few two piece systems that looked like it would stay straight. Most of those multi piece deals like to move around at the joints.

I'm not dead in the water for cutting up panels. I've acquired a collection of these things:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edge_clamps.htm#580

from 24" to 99". I was just looking for a way to do repetive cuts without resetting up every time.

I think I found the plan I was looking for at Plans now. It's in pdf format and I'm not sure how to post it here. Basically comprised of a 12x24" piece of MDF with a clamping station for the saw at one end, The guide edge is under the MDF attached with screws in slots. Word picture could be better but I hope you get the idea.

Gary roofner said:

John have you looked at this jig  http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PPS-2.html this could be use with wider pieces.

I just bought a saw to permanently set up with the sawguide.   They were on sale for $79 its heavy duty comes with everything you need clamps and all. Not as easy to use as rip cut but not limited.

I thought I saw them on sale awhile back. Musta been closing out the product. IIRC they use a double t-track to tie them together. Seems like that should be rigid enough. I've got a Home Depot clamp together thing and it bends in the middle before any pressure is put on it. I usually clamp something behind it to stiffen it up. I've been pretty happy with the wide aluminum clamps. A couple have doubled as fences for the bandsaw.

Gary roofner said:

I just bought a saw to permanently set up with the sawguide.   They were on sale for $79 its heavy duty comes with everything you need clamps and all. Not as easy to use as rip cut but not limited.

I wasn't pushing their other stuff, just the ez smart table kit.  I do like and own other tools of theirs, but I only mentioned the work table in my post.   I think Eurekazone's setup would be too radical of a method change for me to recommend it to anyone that I don't personally know, and know how they like to work.  So each man for himself when it comes to their other stuff.  But I can say, backed up by my years of experience in laying wood down on a flat surface and trying to clamp and cut it, the ez smart table kit is five stars.  And it's 65 bucks.

z

John Schaben said:

Hi Bz - Yeah, I've looked over the EurekaZone EZ products/systems. I have a problem with my budget in the first place; they are closer to Ozone than EurekaZone for me. The other issue I have is with the portability. I have a fairly well equiped but small basement shop. Anything over about 6 ft long and about 2 ft or so wide isn't able to go in or out. Does create some interesting design problems. Anyway, that's why I need to clamp plywood to the picnic table to break it down. My old knees don't appreciate doing them on the ground.

What I need is an edge guide that will keep all the paraphernalia on one side of the saw or the other. I think I saw a shop plan for one, may have been in Shop Notes, that would work for me.

BZ said:

Sounds not-so-vaguely familiar.  Can we recommend products we like on this site?  I hope so, 'cause here goes (and I'll tie it in so we got a better shot at it not getting deleted):  In order to help you use your shiny new Kreg jig,a fabulous clamping table/setup/thingie/idea is the ez smart table.... never heard of it, stumbled across it a few weks ago, and I'll be dang if I don't flippin' do (nearly) everything on it now... don't over-analyze it, just get it... you know I know what I'm talking about, I've made upperds'a four posts already!  No, really, it's a cool table setup and if you do stuff , and I think you do, you'll dig it.

z

I feel kinda weird trying to answer this when I don't even own the jig, but I was asking a few pages ago if you can clamp your workpiece down and use the jig, and best I could determine, you could until your workpiece was less than 24" wide, and at that point the 24" guide arm will sweep the entire width of the workpiece as you cut, eliminating the possibility to clamp "normally" from the top of the workpiece.   Someone earlier said that they stop mid-cut and reclamp.  Sounded to me like your car almost getting you home.  But I see some people like it, so cool, helps Kreg stay working, and that's good.

z

Kent Hogan said:

I don't understand your problems?  I got mine set it up zero it in and it wor's great...

Hi Bz - Not a problem, at least for me. You're just suggesting some clamping solutions which I appreciate. I do take offense to the ones who come in saying you can't do woodworking without a barn full of Festools.  I must not have found the table you were talking about as the only thing I saw was somewhere north of $1000.

Kent - the issue is "how close to the cut can the workpiece be clamped." That seems to be inversely proportional to the width of your cut, ie, the larger the cut the closer you can clamp. If you just want to skim an inch or two of the edge of the board, your clamps have to be over two feet away from your cut. Setting to zero is immaterial.

Howdy, John... I'm with ya there, don't need a bunch of expensive stuff to do good work.  Just look at Roy Underhill, that dude can make a set of kitchen cabinets with an adz and a pile of logs.  (Which is irritating to watch, as it seems the wood always knows what he wants and does just what he wants it to).  But I will pay for things that make sense... if it is faster, safer, more accurate.  Here's the link for the table, I bought the kit, then add a 2x4 piece of 3/4 ply and 10 two-foot 1x4's (cut plywood is fine)...   http://www.eurekazone.com/product-catalog/ez-cutting-tables

My two cents on your note to Kent, I don't think clamping over two feet away is a problem.  But if you're cutting an inch off the long side of a 23" x 8' board, it appears there's nowhere to clamp it at all unless you plan to move the clamps mid-cut or have someone hold it for you and then move around as necessary.

z

That's pretty much the same conclusion I arrived at..:)

That table kit looks like a decent possibility. I like that it's foldable. Kit makes sense too. Wouldn't want to pay shipping on a hunk of plywood from Ohio to KS. Thanks for the link.

BZ said:

My two cents on your note to Kent, I don't think clamping over two feet away is a problem.  But if you're cutting an inch off the long side of a 23" x 8' board, it appears there's nowhere to clamp it at all unless you plan to move the clamps mid-cut or have someone hold it for you and then move around as necessary.

z

When it became apparent the rip cut wasn't going to work out for me I got off my duff and made one of my own. I've still got the Kreg but don't know how much I'll be using it. 200 mile trip to return it.

That, and mine only cuts 20½". 24" was the longest piece of 1/2" MDF I had so some got soaked up with the paraphanalia. Bottom has 4 coats of boiled linseed oil and 5 coats of paste wax. Haven't treated the top yet as I still need to installed the tape measure and fix the bobble... note to self, never climb cut a router while using an edge guide. Other than that, it's usable as is.

Pluses for the KREG over this one.. Mine only cuts 20½ and is bulkier to store.. also heavier. Pluses of mine over the Kreg... no bobble at the end of cut, the fence extends well ahead of and behind the blade. MDF platform provides a zero clearance kerf for less tear out, Mine allows clamping within 2" of the cut with no clamp interference (purpose of the whole project) Mine also, though larger, doesn't store that badly as it will just hang on a wall somewhere.

Ordered one from Elite Tools here in Canada. The setup was easy, I've now switched it between two different saws and the setup was quick and simple. I sawed some shop plywood for a halloween project; the edge wasn't perfect, but the cut was smooth and straight. Had no problems sawing down to 2-3" width, and full length of an 8' board. I have a table saw, but I can see using this for all panel ripping in future.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_