Kreg Owners' Community

Hi all,

we need to make a library box for our Boy Scout Troop Library. Ideally, it would hold all the books we have (most merit badge books are 8 inches tall and 5.5 inches wide, nominal depth) which are totaling about 100 now. We have been using a plastic tub for a while and it's just not working out anymore.

It would have to be relatively compact for storage, but easy to access during a meeting as well as the ability to secure it.

If anyone has made something similar in the past or has any ideas, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,
Rob

Views: 355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

where did u get the wheels from?  i haven't seen that in sketchup

That looks fantastic! I'm guessing probably a piano hinge on the door(s) then? We can probably make it double-sided. Thanks for the idea!

James Waller said:

Ok, I'm back with a drawing of something. Take a look and I hope it helps you in deciding whether this is it or perhaps gives you an idea as to how you want it to look.

There is a door on front and back. The books that I drew are 8"H x 5.50"W x ¾"D. At those dimensions each shelf holds 25 books with a total or 200 books for the whole unit. If the depth of the books are smaller then it will hold more than 200 and if thicker then maybe about 150-175 books.

Hope this helps you out.

James :)

I like what James did,  I think it might work better if instead of making it double sided, make it open in the middle so you have shelfs on bothe sides,    James what program do you use to draw that

Rob Petz said:
That looks fantastic! I'm guessing probably a piano hinge on the door(s) then? We can probably make it double-sided. Thanks for the idea!

James Waller said:

Ok, I'm back with a drawing of something. Take a look and I hope it helps you in deciding whether this is it or perhaps gives you an idea as to how you want it to look.

There is a door on front and back. The books that I drew are 8"H x 5.50"W x ¾"D. At those dimensions each shelf holds 25 books with a total or 200 books for the whole unit. If the depth of the books are smaller then it will hold more than 200 and if thicker then maybe about 150-175 books.

Hope this helps you out.

James :)

Thank you James,  I will play with this

James Waller said:

I used Google SketchUP which can be downloaded for free. It really helps me when I think of something I want to build. I just draw in SketchUp what I have in mind, add some dimension information, print it out and use it to refer too while building a project. Take a look at my photos and you see some of my projects where I used SketchUp first and then built the project.

I like your idea of opening in the middle. It will save on the amount of hardware needed and perhaps also the amount of wood needed to make it.

Michael Campbell said:

I like what James did,  I think it might work better if instead of making it double sided, make it open in the middle so you have shelfs on bothe sides,    James what program do you use to draw that

James that is a nice sketch,I have tried using it but deleted it and went back to paper and arch scale.Lots easier for me Also use HOME PLAN PRO which a lot easier to use but it is not free.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_