Kreg Owners' Community

im looking into buying a multi-tool and what comes to mind would be the dremel http://www.homedepot.ca/product/dremel-multi-max-kit/916712#BVRRWid...

and rockwell http://www.lowes.ca/products/toolguide.aspx

both are on sale right now for $99 and im hoping to get one before the end of this weekend.

the fein brand is definitely not included because of its price --- im just a weekend woodworker/DIYer so a tool that cost that much is not necessary.

anyone can share insight and infos comparing the 2 products i mentioned above?

would really appreciate it coming from those who have used it.

thank you.

Views: 2340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sears has on sale sometimes $69 more powerfull than dremel. If you have tool club card , I got mine for $59

Regular price $79. Don't buy battery. They don't hold a charge very long.

im definitely buying a corded tool. thanks for the input Gary.
I have the Sears model also, very nice and with that extra money that you're saving on the tool I'd recommend buying some extra blades.
Try the Dremel tool. I've always had good luck with these. Sears or Home Depot has one on sale on the Internet for about $130. This model has six add-ons and 50 small tool parts that you will probably use most of the time.

I have the Dremel Multi-Max tool, along with several of the associated accessories,

to perform several tasks.

I purchased it, shortly after it came on the market---I use it frequently for many tasks: sanding, sawing, scraping, and the like.  

Mine gets lots of use.

Since Dremel introduced the tool, it became such a ''big hit'', that several other similar brand tools are now on the market.

Ryobi recently introduced a cordless model, that uses their 18+one battery.  The Ryobi model comes with a couple accessories; (saw blade and sanding plate);  however, it is designed to accept several other brand model accessories.

For a cordless model, this model is my choice.

The cordless model will be a very handy tool, in ones tool collection.

Gold standard on these things is the Fein, also priced about like gold.

I use a Dremel Multi-Max and have been happy with it. On occasion would have liked more power. From what I've heard is the Rockwell has and issue with accessories, needing adapters or something. May not be an issue anymore, it was at the time I was shopping so I passed on it.

eventually got the rockwell sonicrafter ... was on-sale at lowes.

im liking the 'half-circle' attachment ... it has more control.

they added the adapter so bosch, fein accesories can be used.

thanks for the comments.

Hey Gary Roofner, what is the tool club card you speak of? Is that at Sears or what? Always like to save money, especially now!

Gary roofner said:

Sears has on sale sometimes $69 more powerfull than dremel. If you have tool club card , I got mine for $59

Regular price $79. Don't buy battery. They don't hold a charge very long.

Ken Darga said:

I have the Dremel Multi-Max tool, along with several of the associated accessories,

to perform several tasks.

I purchased it, shortly after it came on the market---I use it frequently for many tasks: sanding, sawing, scraping, and the like.  

Mine gets lots of use.

Since Dremel introduced the tool, it became such a ''big hit'', that several other similar brand tools are now on the market.

Ryobi recently introduced a cordless model, that uses their 18+one battery.  The Ryobi model comes with a couple accessories; (saw blade and sanding plate);  however, it is designed to accept several other brand model accessories.

For a cordless model, this model is my choice.

The cordless model will be a very handy tool, in ones tool collection.

I personally would not purchase the Dremel  or the Rockwell

I own a Fein multimaster tool its heavy duty and I use it daily

It is my favorite tool by far

It is a little pricey but well worth it (3 x as much)

An employee of mine has a cordless ridgid from home depot ( not a bad tool at all)

not as powerful as the Fein

The corded tool has way more power than the battery operated

Dave,

Joey posted in the ''Beginners Zone''.

It is presumed he is a beginner/handyman/home do-it-yourselfer, or the like.

I don't think he'll be putting out $300 bucks, for a multi-tool, that has limited uses.

Lots of money tied up in a tool that is not used on a continuous or daily use basis, such as you noted.

The extra $200 bucks could be spent more wisely on Kreg tools, that would get lot more uses.

Or, a ''palm router''---it too has many uses.

A cordless tool will suffice nicely, for many intermittent uses, such as home-owner uses.

dave couper said:

I personally would not purchase the Dremel  or the Rockwell

I own a Fein multimaster tool its heavy duty and I use it daily

It is my favorite tool by far

It is a little pricey but well worth it (3 x as much)

An employee of mine has a cordless ridgid from home depot ( not a bad tool at all)

not as powerful as the Fein

The corded tool has way more power than the battery operated

Joey,

When you shop for a tool, keep in mind the available accessories that are available---

some you may need today, and some for the future, as you expand.

Also, are the accessories interchangeable with other similar brand tools?

Some brands/models do no allow interchangeability. 

The tool should feel comfortable in your hand---easy to grip and hold.  

On occasions,  you may be using it for extended periods of time.

I've personally found the Dremel, for the price, to be the most comfortable in my hand and grip.

I've used my Dremel for many extended hours of operation---horizontally, vertically, overhead---

sawing, cutting, grinding, sanding and scraping operations.

After many hours of continuous use, it did not get hot in my hand.

yup, its an occasional tool to use. not really an everyday thing like for work or anything.

if i work installing or regrouting tiles, i probably would get a fein.

most of the guys i asked and mentions a fein works in the tiling business.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_