Kreg Owners' Community

I needed a small cabinet (no door) for bits and accessories near my drill press in the garage where I do my metal work.  When we bought this house I removed a bunch of long shelves on one wall of the garage which had been there since the mid 50's.  These old shelves have been on sawhorses behind my woodshop for well over a year now but I decided to see if they were good enough to recycle into the small cabinet which I needed. 

The shelves turned out to be rough cut 1 x 6's which were a uniform width (6 1/16") but thickness varied from 7/8" to 1 1/16".  To keep things simple I just cut seven 15" lengths, which required me to get one from a second board (shelf).  That board was warped, cupped, twisted, bowed and tapered in thickness.

I decided to use the boards as they were, rather than plane them to a uniform thickness, partly because of the lead based paint and partly because the paint matched what was on the wall it would be mounted on.  I ended up drilling 4 pocket holes in each end of all four shelves and two in each end of the two mounting cleats (40 pocket holes in all).  I set up for 3/4" boards which worked fine but I did have to constantly adjust the clamp on my K2 because of the varying thickness from one edge to the other of the boards.  Of course I did not attempt to use glue on the old painted lumber.

As it turned out one of the boards was pine, the other cypress.  There is no reason that this should have gone well, but for some reason it did.  The little cabinet came out nice and square and since the material was painted at the same time as the rest of the garage it looks like it has always been there.  This is not a high quality, furniture grade project that would be worth bragging about but I thought that since it came together so quick easy and well, even using material that was not up to standards, it might be worth mentioning.  It does show that the pocket hole joinery does not always require precision machined lumber, in this case there were no joints where the varying thickness of the lumber would show or matter.  This is one time that the Kreg K2 really did the job

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

perfect! that's how I envision this tool earning it's keep :) Got any pictures of it?
Naw, didn't take any pictures. Just think very small 3 shelf bookcase only hanging on the wall with a 30 or 40 year old paint job.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_