Kreg Owners' Community

I am building a cabinet / closet that is 30 inches wide.  I was going to use 2 doors 15 inches wide from 3/4 inch plywood.  My guess is they would weigh about 20 lbs. what kind of and how many should I use to support each door?  Thanks for your help!  Lynn 

Views: 232

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would use 3 concealed hinges each side, exact type depends if your doors are flush with the outside edge or set into the cabinet?

Thanks Brad.  That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.  I wasn't sure if the concealed hinges would be strong enough to carry the weight.  I was also wanting to get the Kreg concealed  hinge jig and was looking for a good "reason".  Lynn

Brad Martin said:

I would use 3 concealed hinges each side, exact type depends if your doors are flush with the outside edge or set into the cabinet?

Hi,

My 5 cents - the concealed hinges will hold the load, but what really would influence the number of hinges per side is the height of your door as the main factor.

The guide is, at least as I've been taught, to use 1 hinge per every 20" of the door height, while the max width per door is 20". I recently built a shaker style door - 35" tall x 17" wide, and used 2 regular concealed hinges. Must note though that the weight of the door was considerably reduced by using 1/4" plywood as the inner panel, and 3/4" x 4" pine boards as rails and stiles.

Thanks Edward!  I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Lynn 


Edward Weitsman said:

Hi,

My 5 cents - the concealed hinges will hold the load, but what really would influence the number of hinges per side is the height of your door as the main factor.

The guide is, at least as I've been taught, to use 1 hinge per every 20" of the door height, while the max width per door is 20". I recently built a shaker style door - 35" tall x 17" wide, and used 2 regular concealed hinges. Must note though that the weight of the door was considerably reduced by using 1/4" plywood as the inner panel, and 3/4" x 4" pine boards as rails and stiles.

Oh no worries at all! Sorry it was about 5 months late :) :) :) 

Lynn Greff said:

Thanks Edward!  I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Lynn 


Edward Weitsman said:

Hi,

My 5 cents - the concealed hinges will hold the load, but what really would influence the number of hinges per side is the height of your door as the main factor.

The guide is, at least as I've been taught, to use 1 hinge per every 20" of the door height, while the max width per door is 20". I recently built a shaker style door - 35" tall x 17" wide, and used 2 regular concealed hinges. Must note though that the weight of the door was considerably reduced by using 1/4" plywood as the inner panel, and 3/4" x 4" pine boards as rails and stiles.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Adaptive Cutting System

I really like the Adaptive Cutting System (ACS) and hope to buy it soon. My table saw really scares me as I have a bad knee that likes to buckle on me at inopportune times. I can just picture it happening at the table saw and tossing me into the saw…Continue

Started by Marshall Harrison in Beginners' Zone on Tuesday.

Ulimate K4 3 Replies

I really like my K4 pocket hole jig but I had a big cabinet project coming up so I wanted a way to clamp the boards to it faster than the toggle clamp alowed. I had seen some other people make pocket hole jigs with pneumatic cylinders in place of…Continue

Tags: k4, Pneumatic

Started by Iain Portalupi in Kreg Jig® Projects. Last reply by Marshall Harrison on Thursday.

Octagonal picnic table 2 Replies

Any plans available? Worked with wood before. Just got my Kreg5. Have a camp in the Adirondacks. Workshop there.

Started by MICHAEL FLANAGAN in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by MICHAEL FLANAGAN yesterday.

Farmhouse Table Plans 2 Replies

Dear Kregeers,I would like to try and build a farmhouse table with extensions in the middle to seat 12.I have seen some plans on Ana White and Buildsomething, along with others. Unfortunately, most, if not all the plans are for extensions at the…Continue

Started by Lupe in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Lupe Feb 12.

Product Reviews

Merry Christmas r3

 Hi all Santa left me one under the tree the elf thar made it must have had a bad morning because one gray tab is metric and the other one is imperial help Santa what do I do

thanks Eric 

Posted by Eric Kershaw on January 8, 2019 at 6:27pm

Kreg Project Center Work Station

The Kreg Project Center is great by itself, but 2 KPC's are better than 1 when you want to set up a 12 ft. work station in a couple minutes.…

Continue

Posted by Glenn Revheim on April 5, 2018 at 5:57am — 5 Comments

Festool Domino 500

The first thing I will do is set price aside and focus on the tool and why I bought the Domino. 

      I have orders for a few dining tables and chairs.  I have made one prototype chair, while I have all the tools to make angled…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on April 2, 2018 at 5:46am — 2 Comments

Kreg Foreman

I have built many kitchens and finally decided to buy the Foreman, because my latest kitchen consisted of 28 cabinets and I was over my hand hurting from all the drilling, moving the clamp etc., it seemed like a smart choice.

The…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on January 8, 2018 at 4:05am — 2 Comments

© 2019   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_