Kreg Owners' Community

Hello All,

First time post and first time user of the Kreg Jigs (love them).  I purchased the HD version to help me with some farmtable benches that require me to use 4x4's for the majority of the build.  My question is this:  Is there a way to position the Jig so that the exiting screws come out of the center of the 4x4? 

Currently, the screws are more towards one side and when the screw tightens, its tightening on that one side and causing a little gap on the opposite side.  If the screw were to exit more towards the center, then it was join the 2 pieces with equal pressure from the middle.   Does that make sense?   

When using the HD for 2x4's and the screws are going through the 2x4's into the 4x4's theres not issue.  Its only when drilling into the 4x4's that im struggling.

thanks

Caleb

Views: 20753

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Caleb,

When achoring 4x4's, I'd suggest placing (2) screws on each face, 90 degrees/opp from one another.

This will result in (4) screws per post.

Locate each screw 1" from the edge of the 4x4.

Option(s):

1. place a screw in each face, centered, in the 4x4---

resulting in (4) screws in each post.

2. place a screw in two faces, centered, in the 4x4 post---90 degrees from each other---(this approach would be suitable for light-duty application, short length, such as a short leg, or the like.

(4 screws will result in a sturdier build and be needed for longer members). 

NOTE:

Suggest make sample 4x4 test piece(s)---about 6" long.

Add pocket holes and install the screws, in each, as described herein---

so that you can visually see the outcome.

PS

If the screw were to exit the center of the 4x4, as you mentioned,

You'd need a much longer screw, and the pocket hole would have to be started much higher in the column.

NOTE---if the screw exited in the center of the bottom of the 4x4 post, and you used more than one screw, they'd interfere with each other---

You don't want that.

Obtain some 6" timber screws, drill a pilot hole in the 4x4, at an angle the same as the HD pocket hole jig,

so the exit hole is in the center of the 4x4 post---

drive the screw into the 4x4 test sample piece, install the screws as you suggest.

Observe the outcome.  

You'll see for yourself what I'm referring to.

Good luck with your build.

Caleb, 

When working with the HD jig you can definitely use it in material larger than 2X.  However, like you have stated it will not have the screw come through the center of your material.  We recommend with material larger than 2X that you place pocket holes on opposite sides of one another so that you have additional holding power.  This also corrects the issue you are referring to since you will have screws pulling from each side allowing you to get a square joint.  If you have any other questions please let us know.  

Hi Ken,

I never thought of it that way and you're correct.  I was just trying to keep the pocket holes concealed.  I'm attaching a picture of one side of the bench (inside portion) and you can see my dilemma.  The base is built using only 4x4's.  I already built one of the benches, and its incredibly sturdy, but it was my first time using the jig.  I think for the 2nd one, i will put a matching set of pocket holes on the other side and just conceal them using a dowel and sand it down.  

Thanks again for the advise.  It was very insightful. 

If you are joining two pieces of 4x4 perpendicular to each other so that they are forming a "T", have you maxed out the strength of the joint placing pockets on opposing faces of one of the pieces or is there any more strength to be gained by having pockets on all 4 faces?  

ATB,
Sam

KregCS said:

Caleb, 

When working with the HD jig you can definitely use it in material larger than 2X.  However, like you have stated it will not have the screw come through the center of your material.  We recommend with material larger than 2X that you place pocket holes on opposite sides of one another so that you have additional holding power.  This also corrects the issue you are referring to since you will have screws pulling from each side allowing you to get a square joint.  If you have any other questions please let us know.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_