Kreg Jig Owners Community

I am considering purchasing a Kreg jig system.  I noticed that there is a Kreg K4MS Jig System and also a Kreg K3MS Jig System available at online sites such as Amazon.com.  I am wondering what the differences are between the two systems other than perhaps the K4MS is the latest or newer model.  Thanks!

Views: 7618

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have owned 2 Kreg systems, the origional ( I guess its a K1) and now a K3.  Ihave to say without doubt, the K3 is the way to go.  Just as you have mentioned, the K3 handles all of its business on one side of the board you mount in it to drill.  I experianced the reach around syndrom on my K1 frequently, and I quickly learned the advantages of clamping and drilling on the same side.  I use my Kreg to build cabinets that include pocket holes on the carcase to mount the face frame to it. Now the face frame can be done on any of the jigs with no real trouble, but..... the carcase is usually 16-24" of pannel and is EASALY put in to a K3 and drilled.  If you put it in a K1-2 and K4 all requireing you reach to the back side of the pannel to clamp this becomes very cumbersom and slow. 

 

OK now for the K4 solution..... you have to take take your bench tool apart and use the vise-grip type clamp with it in a housing then you can lay the carcase pannel on a table and clamp the jig to an edge and then go to the other side to drill it or reach over a little awkward and drill it.  All in All this is still much slower than just using a K3.

 

Well I was at the Wood Show in October here in Los Angles with a friend who has seen me use my K3.  He was set to buy a new Kreg jig and had been waiting for the show. So we go there and just as mentioned before, Kreg has discontinued the K3 and was only touting the K4 system and its trinkets.

 

I was told the K3 was discontinued due to a light clamping issue.  I have to admit the K3 does not lock onto your drilling stock as firm as a K1,2 or K4...... BUT I have never had it slip out or move!

 

 

KREG I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING!!!!!   YOU NEED TO KEEP THE K3 DESIGN AND SUPPORT IT!!!!!!!!

If history repeats, than K5 has to be around the corner and its going to have that one little thing that the K3 and K4 does not have, just my guess.

Scott Bastian said:

I have owned 2 Kreg systems, the origional ( I guess its a K1) and now a K3.  Ihave to say without doubt, the K3 is the way to go.  Just as you have mentioned, the K3 handles all of its business on one side of the board you mount in it to drill.  I experianced the reach around syndrom on my K1 frequently, and I quickly learned the advantages of clamping and drilling on the same side.  I use my Kreg to build cabinets that include pocket holes on the carcase to mount the face frame to it. Now the face frame can be done on any of the jigs with no real trouble, but..... the carcase is usually 16-24" of pannel and is EASALY put in to a K3 and drilled.  If you put it in a K1-2 and K4 all requireing you reach to the back side of the pannel to clamp this becomes very cumbersom and slow. 

 

OK now for the K4 solution..... you have to take take your bench tool apart and use the vise-grip type clamp with it in a housing then you can lay the carcase pannel on a table and clamp the jig to an edge and then go to the other side to drill it or reach over a little awkward and drill it.  All in All this is still much slower than just using a K3.

 

Well I was at the Wood Show in October here in Los Angles with a friend who has seen me use my K3.  He was set to buy a new Kreg jig and had been waiting for the show. So we go there and just as mentioned before, Kreg has discontinued the K3 and was only touting the K4 system and its trinkets.

 

I was told the K3 was discontinued due to a light clamping issue.  I have to admit the K3 does not lock onto your drilling stock as firm as a K1,2 or K4...... BUT I have never had it slip out or move!

 

 

KREG I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING!!!!!   YOU NEED TO KEEP THE K3 DESIGN AND SUPPORT IT!!!!!!!!

Rockler has the K3MS system on sale today for $139.  Free Shipping and you get a free $25 gift certificate...  States, "While supply last!"

 

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11410

I got the K3 about three years ago and it worked great - saw the K4 some time later and thought to myself that it might be awkward to reach over the material to clamp.  

Yesterday, while changing the clamp width on my K3, when I backed off the nut - the whole metal assembly came out of the fiberglass housing - it goes back in but you can't back off the nut ---- and you're stuck with that setting.  In looking at the K3 and K4 together, it appears the K4's clamping assembly is all metal and rear handle links directly to the clamp, as opposed to the K3's metal in a fiberglass housing with linkages to the front mounted handle.

So maybe this is why they went from a front to rear mounted handle for the clamp.

Good observation Chris, thanks for sharing. I also picked up a K3 about the same time but mine hasn't really seen heavy use. I'm kind of abiguous about the the K4 as I have yet to use pockets in large panels....

Chris Dykman said:

I got the K3 about three years ago and it worked great - saw the K4 some time later and thought to myself that it might be awkward to reach over the material to clamp.  

Yesterday, while changing the clamp width on my K3, when I backed off the nut - the whole metal assembly came out of the fiberglass housing - it goes back in but you can't back off the nut ---- and you're stuck with that setting.  In looking at the K3 and K4 together, it appears the K4's clamping assembly is all metal and rear handle links directly to the clamp, as opposed to the K3's metal in a fiberglass housing with linkages to the front mounted handle.

So maybe this is why they went from a front to rear mounted handle for the clamp.

My K2 and K2000 are still going strong, as well as the Rocket and Mini jig.  No need to replace them yet!

Welcome to the world of plastic cancer and shabby strength we live for.



John Schaben said:

Good observation Chris, thanks for sharing. I also picked up a K3 about the same time but mine hasn't really seen heavy use. I'm kind of abiguous about the the K4 as I have yet to use pockets in large panels....

Chris Dykman said:

I got the K3 about three years ago and it worked great - saw the K4 some time later and thought to myself that it might be awkward to reach over the material to clamp.  

Yesterday, while changing the clamp width on my K3, when I backed off the nut - the whole metal assembly came out of the fiberglass housing - it goes back in but you can't back off the nut ---- and you're stuck with that setting.  In looking at the K3 and K4 together, it appears the K4's clamping assembly is all metal and rear handle links directly to the clamp, as opposed to the K3's metal in a fiberglass housing with linkages to the front mounted handle.

So maybe this is why they went from a front to rear mounted handle for the clamp.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Connect with Kreg!

HELPFUL LINKS


Kreg Tools & Products
Complete Product List
Kreg Jigs
Kreg Jig Accessories
Screws & Plugs
Automaxx & Clamping
Cutting & Measuring
Deck Jig & Deck Screws
Universal Bench
Precision Routing Systems
Precision Machine Accessories
Trak Components
Pocket-Hole Machinery
Education & Apparel

Kreg Jig
The Kreg Jig Family
The All-New Kreg Jig K5
How to Use a Kreg Jig
Kreg Jig Quick-Start Guide
Super Simple Shelving with the Shelf Pin Jig
Kreg Tool Tip: Mini Jig

Kreg Skill Videos
Kreg Trim Carpentry
Frames, Facings, Flat Planes
Leg & Rail Joints
Edge Joining
Edge Banding
Picture Frames
90-Degree Panel Joints
Attaching Table Tops
Repairs
Finishing Touches
Angles and Curves


FREE Project Plans
Kreg Project Plans
Pinterest DIY Project Plans
Ana White Plan Catalog
Chief's Shop Plans
Design Confidential Plans
Fine Woodworking Plans
Rockler Projects & Plans
Shanty2Chic Kreg Jig Projects
WOOD Magazine Plans
Junior-Sized Workbench
Simple Workbench
Twin Bed with Storage
Distressed Bookcase
Wall Cabinet

All Things DIY
Kreg Customer Projects
How to Use the Kreg Jig
Tuesday Tool Tips
Who Likes the Kreg Jig?
Fun DIY Ideas
DIY Tips & Tricks
Home Storage & Organization
Shop Storage & Organization
Kreg Plus Tips
Woodworking Inspiration
Furniture Finishing Tips
Upcycle, Recycle, Reuse!
Woodworking Humor

Other Great Links
Tips from Chief's Shop
Avoid Wood Splitting
Choose the Best Screw
Select the Correct Kreg Screw
Ultimate Glue Guide
Locate a Kreg Dealer
Kreg Tool News
Company Beginnings
Kreg's Favorite Videos
Basic Cabinetmaking

© 2014   Created by KregRep.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_