Kreg Owners' Community

I was assembling a cabinet today and screwed the screws into the other panel,the did the same thing on the other side and moved it slightly and every screw blew out of the panels all 8,4 on each side,Looking at where the screw went into the panel it only caught maybe 1/8" on the edge of the panel. the panels are 1/2" thick BB ply. any Idea why this happened.I'm using the kreg jig K3 set at 1/2" and kreg screws says they are for 1/2".

Is this the right way to attach? I did A, but is B a better way?

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Drill the pocket hole as shown in "B".

The screw should be directed "INWARD", away from the edge.

When a screw is directed toward the OUTSIDE edge, as in "A", it may blow thru. 

Make some tests with the drill bit boring a 1/16" shallower.

I use the "micro jig" when joining 1/2" material.

It's a good practice to make sample test pieces, before proceeding to the final work-piece.

This method helps to insure you're getting acceptable results.  

Hello,

In that same situation, I've put screws in both ways, depending upon which way would make them harder to see.  For example, if the cabinet is against the wall then I'll put them in from the outside edge so you do don't see the holes from the inside.  I don't think which side you drive them from matters.  The bigger issue is getting enough of the screw into the joining material without going too far.

I think your best bet would be to take a couple pieces of scrap that are the same thicknesses of your actual cabinet sides and do some test fits.

I've often had to "tweak" my drill collar settings beyond what the jig recommends you to use.  Often, wood just isn't the thickness it is supposed to be due to moisture, metric/imperial differences, etc.

Cheers,

Dan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (CST). 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Accu-Cut: Set Screws in Track Keep Coming Loose

Started by Dan Duce in Beginners' Zone 21 minutes ago.

Is my drill speed set too high when screwing? 1 Reply

Started by Matthew Hinton in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Dan Duce 13 minutes ago.

Solid wood plugs too short? 2 Replies

Started by Doc JL in Other Kreg® Products. Last reply by KregCS Jan 15.

Euro hinges jig question 9 Replies

Started by Laura in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Laura Jan 6.

Tapered Table Legs 6 Replies

Started by Pamela Anders in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Anthony Saba Jan 12.

Product Reviews

Kreg Foreman

I have built many kitchens and finally decided to buy the Foreman, because my latest kitchen consisted of 28 cabinets and I was over my hand hurting from all the drilling, moving the clamp etc., it seemed like a smart choice.

The…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on January 8, 2018 at 4:05am — 2 Comments

Kreg K5 Jig Review

Posted by Daris R. on November 20, 2017 at 5:39pm

© 2018   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_