Kreg Owners' Community

Has anyone else bought and used the new plug cutter , it works ok in straight grain , not as well in cross grain , using yellow pine , have all three  bit,s   and hope to make some plug,s , but some come out not so good , !! Tried hi speed and low speed , what may I be doing worng , ???? JIM !!

Views: 2027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The plugs that I cut with the jig fit good on 1 1/2 stock . They don't fit in 3/4 stock to tight even with 15 degree cut.  Any help James?

Gary there are 3 different size plug cutters; Micro, standard & HD (Heavy Duty).  Are you using the HD plug cutting bit by any chance?

I have all 3 plug cutters and used the standard bit and found that the plugs fit perfectly in the 3/4" stock.

Just a thought.

Think Tony may be headed in the right direction with his thought !!

Gary roofner said:

The plugs that I cut with the jig fit good on 1 1/2 stock . They don't fit in 3/4 stock to tight even with 15 degree cut.  Any help James?

I only have the standard bit certainly not the size of the Hd hole not the problem. The holes cut  by the kreg jig are fuzzy I'll sand the holes. I am starting a new project .  I'll make sure the holes are cleaner.

They did fit in the new cut parts but they fit is so tight that you damage the plug removing them.

Hi Gary,

I apologize if you already know this.  I don't believe that the plugs are really designed to come out once you plug a pocket hole,  Actually you want a bit of a snug fit.  When I use plugs, and this goes for the plugs that I've purchased from Kreg before I got the plug cutters, I'll put a little wood glue in the pocket hole, slide the plug in leaving about a 1/32" to a 1/16" sticking up.  This helps in filling any gap that may occur by pushing the plug in all the way, and you get to sand the top of the plug so that it's nice and flush with your project material.

Here's a quick video from Youtube on plugging pocket holes,

https://youtu.be/y32NHxN4vDw

I found out the problem cutting  the plus. It was because the support was about 1/16 above the deck of the kreg jig . This translates into cutting a shorter plug. I have an older k4 that I have dedicated to plug cutting. I am building a new project that is actually using the plugs they worked great. I cut mine loss with my tablesaw did not tape. I just measured length and subtracted the 3/16 set the blade height  to even with top stock with a 15 degree tilt to the blade . I will take some picture tomorrow .

Can you cut plugs out of 2 inch stock which as actually 1.5 inch standard? I have Douglass fir which is  sold in 2 inch stock need plugs. Plugs are huge!!!!

I am having similar issues to others cutting cedar plugs, with my expensive kreg plug cutter. The plugs are all too short and end up at least a quarter inch too short and they are quite loose in the holes. Its hard to get the plug to stay were you put it and need it to stay. Since the plugs are short and loose, most slide too far into the holes leaving a minimum 1/4 divot that is unfilled. I paid over $100.00 for this thing and the plugs made are not good enough.   

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_