Kreg Owners' Community

Has anyone else bought and used the new plug cutter , it works ok in straight grain , not as well in cross grain , using yellow pine , have all three  bit,s   and hope to make some plug,s , but some come out not so good , !! Tried hi speed and low speed , what may I be doing worng , ???? JIM !!

Views: 2027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did cut some standard plug and some HD plugs and took some pics. thought I would post this since it has been taken off the discussion list !!!  Also bought a pallet buster for those that buid with pallet boards , works very good !!

Hi Jim.

Glad to see the plug cutter is working out for you!  What method are you using to cut them loose?

I haven't gotten mine yet, but am expecting to have it soon.

HI Ronda, on the standard and micro , scroll saw with table set at 15 degrees  and the HD. plugs  you can cut them at 90 degrees  on RA. saw or band saw , best if you put on some blue painters tape  across the plugs as they tend to fly when you cut them , HA!!  All ways be safe !!!  Remember  drill high speen , feed slow , Have fun JIM !!

Didn't even consider them as projectiles until now :)  Thanks for the tip!

Looks like I will have to get the scroll saw back into action.  Was going to try to figure a way to do it with either my circular saw or the jig saw.  I tend to have much better luck using those than the others.

HI Ronda, you can use your jig saw , still would put on the blue tape just to hold them in place till you are finished cutting , have fun JIM !!

Ronda McElroy said:

Didn't even consider them as projectiles until now :)  Thanks for the tip!

Looks like I will have to get the scroll saw back into action.  Was going to try to figure a way to do it with either my circular saw or the jig saw.  I tend to have much better luck using those than the others.

You also might want to rest between cuts.  The cutter does heat up a bit.

Looks like my next purchase maybe I can get Santa Claus to bring it to me . I'll have to make some hints in those regards.

I got some cash for Christmas . I ordered the plug cutter last night.

My kids got me the Plug master pack for Christmas from Amazon, i.e. all 3 sizes, but haven't tried it out yet.  Hope to make a few test runs this weekend.  Coincidently, I also bought a new drill since my 18v Porter-Cable only goes up to 1800 RPM's, if my memory serves me.  so I got a 20v DeWalt brushless that runs up to 2000 RPM's, so I plan to use that for the plug test.  Will report back as soon as I do.

Mine is supposed to be here Tuesday.

Well I played around for a bit making a few plugs tonight.  The plug cutter goes into the wood pretty effortlessly.  I did notice that after cutting a few plugs I started to see tear-out.  I attached my vacuum hose and slowed the drill's movement into the block of wood a bit more and it seemed to help.  All in all not too bad for the first attempt, but it looks like I'll have to work on my technicque a bit just I did with making the pocket holes.

I tried my jig out today. with pine which is what I build with the most used . Just letting the weight of the drill cut the plugs its to fast you get tarry out . Others woods I use Douglas fir , oak  , or poplar  I have not tried. Pine is easy just go slow come out perfect. I have not cut any loose . I will take pictures pine will not be hard.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_