Kreg Owners' Community

Welcome to the Kreg Owners' Community!

This thread is the best place to introduce yourself and let other Community members get to know you. Please include your name, where you're from, your experience building with wood, why you joined this Community, and any other interesting facts about yourself. Also, feel free to share links to your blog, personal website, etc.

Once you've introduced yourself, be sure to check out Helpful Tips for New Members.

We hope that you find great use and enjoyment from the Kreg Owners' Community!

-KregRep

Views: 72365

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for the reply. I am probably over driving the screws. I think I may need some practice on scrap wood to get the technique down. I will also take a look at the charts with screw choices and material. 

Robert Brennan said:

Hello and welcome Sandra,

In relation to your question about screws poking through.

The reason screws may poke through relate to either being the incorrect size (too long) or you are overdriving them, (meaning drivig the heads into and beyond the bottom of the counterbore.

There is an easy way to check the length, after drilling put a screw in the pocket hole and check with the mating material how much penetration the screw tip has. (BTW you can Use similar scrap to do this test).

If all is good there they are being over driven.

Have a look at the Kreg charts on this site showing the screw choices  using screw with similar or dissimilar materials it may assist.

Hi Sandra!

I had this problem constantly since I am working in metric and thus had to adjust. My method is to set the stop collar on the drill bit 1/16" lower than it should be according to the charts. That makes the pocket hole bottom a bit higher and the tip of the screw which is going through the joint is shorter.

Based on my experience, it has zero impact on the joint strength, but it prevents any type of protruding (unless of course I am really driving the screw too far). 

Cheers!

Ed

Sandra Eynon said:

thanks for the reply. I am probably over driving the screws. I think I may need some practice on scrap wood to get the technique down. I will also take a look at the charts with screw choices and material. 

Robert Brennan said:

Hello and welcome Sandra,

In relation to your question about screws poking through.

The reason screws may poke through relate to either being the incorrect size (too long) or you are overdriving them, (meaning drivig the heads into and beyond the bottom of the counterbore.

There is an easy way to check the length, after drilling put a screw in the pocket hole and check with the mating material how much penetration the screw tip has. (BTW you can Use similar scrap to do this test).

If all is good there they are being over driven.

Have a look at the Kreg charts on this site showing the screw choices  using screw with similar or dissimilar materials it may assist.

HI, my name is Patrick.  I have been doing woodworking since high school shop class.  I have recently purchased the Kreg Jig to build a table and some cabinets.  I've made a variety of furniture from a china cabinet to a loft bed with a desk underneath.  I went from dowels to biscuits to now the Kreg. Although I build mostly small woodworking projects these days, I occasionally build some larger projects, and the Kreg will make it much easier and faster.

Hello all, just in the process of using my Kreg jig for the 1st time on a shoe rack.

Much needed, next up is a Buffet Table, but not sure wether to use MDF or Ply?

Looking forward to learning loads, making mistakes but enjoying myself.

Best wishes to everyone 

Steve

Hi, been a Kreg user since the beginning. Always had success with their jigs and will continue to use them.

Hi all,

My name is Russ from Rolling Meadows IL.  I'm recently retire and getting back into woodworking. I'm taking a class at a local High school. My project is a bookcase. I'll be using pocket holes to assemble the unit. I bought a K5 Master system for home projects. I'm looking forward to learning alot from this forum.

Hi Folks. 

I live in Springfield TN. just outside of Nashville. I bought a K5 master system, have not used it yet. Looking forward to it. I have a woodshop in my basement and enjoy woodworking when I can. Looking forward to being apart of the community here. 

Hi, my name is Chris. I live in east central Indiana. I am recently retired and am new to woodworking. Looking forward to learning from this group. I like working with Kreg pocket joinery and working with router. I recently completed my first major project, a vanity for my granddaughter. It is actually a conglomeration of techniques as I was learning on the fly. It is far from perfect but I have learned a lot, and it is onward and upward from here. I’ll post a photo when I get a chance. 

Simple design although it matches the TV/Grow house I built and I did them both with Kreg Tool Pocket joints

My name is Shawn Hampt and I’m from Maryland. I am a beginning woodworker (novice at best). I joined to get and share info and knowledge in working with wood and learn from others. Love all my Kreg products, especially my K5!

This past weekend I decided to build myself a simple mailbox to replace the plastic piece of junk hanging on my gate, so I got to use the brand-new pair of corner clamps that were delivered just last week. They really made the job a lot easier and since I don't even have a mounted vise at the moment I can just imagine how frustrating it would've been to try and keep those sides together while glueing and screwing them in place without the clamps!

I'm not done yet, because I still have to fit the lid and front door, but I wouldn't have been nearly as far as I am now without those clamps. They're a little sensitive and finicky to adjust, but once they're at the right setting they really do a great job!

Hello!

Steven here.

I live in North Alabama and have raised two teenage boys.  I have been doing woodworking and DIY projects for over 30 years.

I also, cook, play guitar and keep salt and fresh water aquariums.

I started using pocket holes in the 80s on a jig I built for a drill press and had to use two different drill bits, but it worked.  :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (CST). 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Puzzle Caddy/Board

Hello All - I'm looking for a plan for a puzzle caddy to replace the frail cardboard ones we've used in the past...large main area and two smaller sorting/storing trays. If anyone has such a plan or has seen one someplace, I'd love to hear about…Continue

Tags: puzzle, Project

Started by R.J. Foster in Miscellaneous Dec 4.

Edge Joining 2" Boards 2 Replies

Hi Everyone,I appreciate all the threads on the community. I've got to use this more, you guys are great.I got my hands on some beautiful ambrosia poplar, 2 inches thick, that I want to join for a desk/counter top. Using the 2.5 inch screws and…Continue

Tags: joining, edge

Started by brian lazenby in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by michael dunn 19 hours ago.

What type screw to use for Black Walnut 3 Replies

I have some 2" x 6" Black Walnut and need some 2 1/2" screws. To best of my knowledge Walnut is a hardwood so I need to use fine thread screws. However I can not find that length of Fine thread screws on Kregs website. Does anyone know where I can…Continue

Started by Duane Heda in Other Kreg® Products. Last reply by John Holloman 19 hours ago.

Working in carport? 4 Replies

I share a large shop with a friend at his house, but, for the last couple years I have hardly been there to work on anything.I have moved a lot of the duplicate tools into my carport and have been working there.Does anyone else work in the…Continue

Started by Steven Brown in Miscellaneous. Last reply by Steven Brown 17 hours ago.

Product Reviews

Kreg Project Center Work Station

The Kreg Project Center is great by itself, but 2 KPC's are better than 1 when you want to set up a 12 ft. work station in a couple minutes.…

Continue

Posted by Glenn Revheim on April 5, 2018 at 5:57am — 4 Comments

Festool Domino 500

The first thing I will do is set price aside and focus on the tool and why I bought the Domino. 

I have orders for a few dining tables and chairs.  I have made one prototype chair, while I have all the tools to make angled…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on April 2, 2018 at 5:46am

Kreg Foreman

I have built many kitchens and finally decided to buy the Foreman, because my latest kitchen consisted of 28 cabinets and I was over my hand hurting from all the drilling, moving the clamp etc., it seemed like a smart choice.

The…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on January 8, 2018 at 4:05am — 2 Comments

Kreg K5 Jig Review

Posted by Daris R. on November 20, 2017 at 5:39pm

© 2018   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_