Kreg Owners' Community

Is the kreg deck jig designed for use on new composit deck materials? Do the boards have to be the non groved? When I say groved I'm not talking about those designed for the clips but the botom flate side has groves. By the way rockler is selling the jig with 7oo screws free and price is $79 that $49 worth of screws free.

Views: 3733

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please help any problems with plastic decking and Kreg jig?

Hi Gary, by plastic decking, are you asking about Trex? Trex drills very well but has little to no strength of it's own. I suspect a pocket hole will just break out when you tighten the screw down.

From what I have been reading, Trex has numerous other issues as well, supporting mold growth not being the least of it. Many, Many lawsuits in the works over that stuff.

No not trecks but the decking made of plastic. Not the composits but the plastics. They don't have the mold problems. Home depot sells veranda which is a plastic but some have are groved on the botom. I know there are some that like a tongue and groved that use a special clip. These kind you would not want.

Hi Gary - the only veranda I could find that is carried by Home Depot is a composite.

http://www.verandadeck.com/

Here's an excerpt from their installation instructions, which I interpret to say they have cohesion issues:

Do not surface fasten within 1-1/2" of the end of a board or 1"

from the side of the board. It is necessary to pre-drill end of

board screw holes to prevent immediate or eventual end splitting

(Figure f). Pre-drilling all holes, which will add time to the project,

is not necessary, but it will result in better looking finished

projects. DO NOT over-tighten fasteners. Over-tightening will

induce cracking at board ends.

Surface Fasteners should always be driven in at a 90 degree

angle to the decking surface. Toe nailing/screwing is not

recommended (Figure g). Instead, the placement of an additional

joist, when needed, is recommended to allow perpendicular

installation of surface fasteners at board ends (Figure h). Predrilling

is required in cold temperatures.

Clean, perfectly straight lines of fasteners look better than

wobbly lines. Use white chalk, straight boards or string lines as

templates for straight lines.

Fastening

Gary roofner said:

No not trecks but the decking made of plastic. Not the composits but the plastics. They don't have the mold problems. Home depot sells veranda which is a plastic but some have are groved on the botom. I know there are some that like a tongue and groved that use a special clip. These kind you would not want.

Wait - I just ordered this deck jig. Am I reading right? Trex invites MOLD? I'd intended to build a small Trex deck and bought the Kreg jig to do it. Trex also does not like toenailing? So how limited is this jig, exactly? It only wants a certain range of lumber sizes as well, with 1+1/4" thickness being the highest, right? Could someone point me to a deck design guide that works with the Kreg jig? 

Gary, the Deck Jig can work with Grooved material, but you seem to be talking about plastic deck boards which are often hollow in the middle. With hollow decking the Deck Jig will not work because the screw won't have anything to 'bite' at the level the screw is driven to. Composite decking with 'grooves' on the bottom (like Lowes' Choice Deck) works great with the Deck Jig.

Regarding Trex - Trex did have mold issues with some of the older products, but they have been resolved. We have had Trex decking for several years with no major issues of any kind. Also, as far as strength goes, Trex has every bit as much strength as regular wood and, if using the newer Transcend variety of Trex, it almost requires pre-drilling because it has a layer of PVC coating it that most self-tapping screws seem to have issues with.

The only problems we've had with it is that it is very unforgiving of errors (they show up as though under a spotlight), it can get very hot under strong sun, and the hidden fastener system Trex sells is very expensive (about $400 for 500 clips), though it does work very well and is easy to use. Don't know if I'd recommend the Kreg system for fastening them, though, as the grooves on the side are fairly tight and might obstruct the screw path.

http://www.trex.com/build/installation-guides/index.htm

There is a link to the Trex installation instructions on that site. It's in pdf format and 50 odd pages long so I didn't download and try to upload it. Check pages 15 and 16 of the pdf. They are saying screw fasteners are to be installed at 90° to face and no closer than 1" from the edge to prevent splitting. This is no way a Kreg issue, just the nature of composites. IMO you are better off using the clip system for composites and be aware of the heat issues. It gets very HOT on a sunny day.

Deck has an awning over it. Should keep it cooler. How many have used the deck jig on composit. I'm still waiting for my jig  from rocklers they sent the screws but jig on back order until wendsday.

Thanks everyone for your comments its all good info.

I was told that joist should be on 12" centers is that true for composits?

Which decking are you asking about, Trex or veranda? pdf installation instructions are available for both under their respective links, previously posted. Trex is something like 24" on center if perpendicular to joists and 4" on center if diagonal to joints ( don't ask me, doesn't wash for me either). Veranda is a little more realistic at 16" and 12". Ultimately your local code will prevail.

Gary roofner said:

I was told that joist should be on 12" centers is that true for composits?

Trex actually recommends 16" O.C. as a maximum. We went with that and the decks are solid. The boards are flexible enough that I definitely wouldn't go any more than that, unless you're looking for a deck you can use as a trampoline...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, please call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm CST. 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Jig settings for 2 ¾ x 1 ½ boards with 30 degree miters?

I making a hex ring out of 2x4s ripped to 2 ¾ inches wide with 30 degree miters.  What setting on the Jig should I used? 1 ½ is too much.  Thanks.Continue

Started by Patrick Halinski in Kreg Jig® Operation Dec 30, 2023.

40mm Cup Hinge Jig Question

Hi All.....I have the 35mm Kreg Jig hinge drill guide. The guide is great for 35mm Hinge Cups, but I have a speciality 40MM hinge cup to drill.Has anyone adapted the Kreg guide to work with 40mm Forsner drill bits? Or have a guide that works…Continue

Started by Ed Anderson in Beginners' Zone Oct 3, 2023.

Product Reviews

New Kreg 720Pro

I saw the video Kreg put out for this new jig and had high hopes for it.

I purchased one today and am very disappointed with it.

First the docking station is extremely cheap. The plastic is pathetic. A Lego has more…

Continue

Posted by Duke Leon on February 15, 2021 at 9:00pm

Not Pleased With Pocket Hole Construction

Several months ago, I purchased the Kreg K4MS so that I could build the Lego Table as outlined on the companion "buildsomething" web site which exclusively uses pocket hole construction.  I have considerable experience with conventional…

Continue

Posted by Robert Ringel on September 17, 2020 at 1:48pm — 9 Comments

© 2024   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_