Kreg Owners' Community

I'm building cabinets and I want to join 2 - 3/4" panels at a 45° angle. I have cut the panels at 22 1/2° and they line up nicely.  I'm concerned that the screws will penetrate the far side. 

 Would a 1" screw be adequate?

When I set-up to drill, what thickness should I set the jig for?

 

Thanks,

Max

 

I've added 2 photos of the subject joint.

I can use biscuits but I had hoped to do this project using Kreg pocket holes as much as possible.

 

Thanks again,

Max

Views: 7218

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dont think it can work..........anyone?
maybe a Locking Miter Bit for your Router.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POvBhQo2ivQ
Check out forum discussion on Dec. 4 "making corner Cabinet, by Bill Evans" this may be what you need. Right now it is on page 22 of discussions if you sort by discussion.
Use TEST pieces no matter what you do.
I ran into the same problem when I was making a Flag Case for my brother-in-laws casket flag, (for displaying the flag used at his funeral).
I didn't want to use pocket-screws due to the fact that I couldn't think of a way to place them "inside" the case (the angles were all wrong), and didn't want them on the outside for ascetic reasons.
In the end I settled for using glue and "reinforced" the corners with a couple of strategically placed 18 gauge brads that I shot in from each side with an air gun.
If you use this method be sure to be careful with your placement and angles so that you don't shoot through the corner and have a brad sticking out the other side...LOL (the voice of experience speaks loudly here).
The overall result was satisfactory for my intended use (which was for display purposes) and seemed to be strong enough for most non-structural uses.
Good luck with the project.
I think you might be right. :-(

Matt H said:
Dont think it can work..........anyone?
maybe a Locking Miter Bit for your Router.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POvBhQo2ivQ
Robert J Guidry Sr said:
Check out forum discussion on Dec. 4 "making corner Cabinet, by Bill Evans" this may be what you need. Right now it is on page 22 of discussions if you sort by discussion.
I think his situation is a little different
But thanks for the reference.

Gerald Duryee said:
Robert J Guidry Sr said:
Check out forum discussion on Dec. 4 "making corner Cabinet, by Bill Evans" this may be what you need. Right now it is on page 22 of discussions if you sort by discussion.
Lock miter is always going to be your strongest joint,but it can only be used for a 45° / 90° angle.you may want to try making a splined joint,a good example is fig. F in the link I sent you ( http://www.woodworkingjointery.com/page11.htm ) ,make your angled cuts,then make a jig that will you allow you to spline cut with the table saw and join the pieces with a milled to thickness and width spline.when glued it will be as strong as any mechanical fastener.
Oh Yeah!!

Kerry Drake said:
Use TEST pieces no matter what you do.
A splined joint would have been the way to go had I not had a biscuit (plate) joiner.
I got it done. I'm trying to use Kreg pocket hole screws as much as possible primarily to see how much of the asembly can be done that way.
Thanks for your input.

michael pope said:
Lock miter is always going to be your strongest joint,but it can only be used for a 45° / 90° angle.you may want to try making a splined joint,a good example is fig. F in the link I sent you ( http://www.woodworkingjointery.com/page11.htm ) ,make your angled cuts,then make a jig that will you allow you to spline cut with the table saw and join the pieces with a milled to thickness and width spline.when glued it will be as strong as any mechanical fastener.
Here you go, Gerald... this should help you out!
http://kregjig.ning.com/forum/topics/miter-corners-for-picture?comm...
I would use bisquits myself. The kreg jig is awesome but it's not a be-all-end-all....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (CST). 

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Forum

Ice fishing box

Started by mitch in Miscellaneous 5 hours ago.

Pocket hole tearout 1 Reply

Started by daddywoofdawg in Kreg Jig® Operation. Last reply by Ken Darga yesterday.

Standing desk idea 1 Reply

Started by danny moore in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Glen S Dec 5.

Right angle clamp question 2 Replies

Started by Terry Ellis in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by KregCS Dec 4.

Joining softwood to hardwood 3 Replies

Started by Terry Ellis in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Glen S Dec 5.

Product Reviews

Kreg K5 Jig Review

Posted by Daris R. on November 20, 2017 at 5:39pm

The Pocket Hole Joinery Book - Review

Posted by Daris R. on October 17, 2017 at 11:00pm

© 2017   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_