Kreg Owners' Community

Going to be building a card table the table top is 150 year old read oak . The apron is 50-75 year old oak . And I ordered red oak turning stock on line for the legs. My question is when I go to stain everything are the tints going to be drastically different ?

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would think that they would absorb the stain at a different rate, resulting in darker or lighter coloring between the three.  Is finishing in clear an option?

I would really like to do the top in a dark stain. Would the table not look right if I did the aprons and the legs in just a clear? And by clear do you mean like a Danish oil or something like that ?
Danish oil, clear shellac, clear poly, etc.
I'm not a big fan of stains in things that I do - probably because I can never seem to apply it and have it look like I had envisioned. I also like being able to see the character of the wood, especially in pieces that use reclaimed wood. Using stain can actually highlight those "character" elements (e.g.: a deep scratch across the grain will expose end grain, which will absorb more of the color than the surrounding area).
It is your vision for the table, go with what you like. I only wanted to point out that the 3 differing ages of wood will accept the stain at a different rate.

Brian fleming said:
I would really like to do the top in a dark stain. Would the table not look right if I did the aprons and the legs in just a clear? And by clear do you mean like a Danish oil or something like that ?
Yea the only reason I'm thinking stain is to match up everything else in the room, but if I did clear it would definitely make everything look uniform .

The aprons & legs are on a vertical plane. Top is on a horizontal plane. Light play off these planes differently. The apron for example will be in the shadows of the overhanging top. Make a quick mock up with some scraps & stain both pieces at the same time. Hold them in the room at the correct level & look them over.

Always test your finish on scraps 1st. It's the "Measure twice cut once." rule for finishing IMHO.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (CST). 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Type of Wood? 1 Reply

Started by Philip Miller in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Ken Darga 11 hours ago.

Toy box 2 Replies

Started by David J Agler in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by KregRep Oct 13.

Clamp and glue thin borders 3 Replies

Started by Don Anderson in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Ken Darga Oct 7.

routers and router stands 7 Replies

Started by tom hagan in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by tom hagan on Wednesday.

Router guide

Started by Scott taube in Beginners' Zone Sep 26.

Product Reviews

The Pocket Hole Joinery Book - Review

Posted by Daris R. on October 17, 2017 at 11:00pm

Kreg Mobile Project Center

I just picked up my new Kreg Mobile Project Center Item #KWS1000.

Wow!  I set it up in my basement and it is great addition to my Kreg items.  I was viewing a video where a review on this fine product was being made, which prompts…

Continue

Posted by John Tomkinson on May 5, 2017 at 5:34am — 2 Comments

© 2017   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_