Kreg Owners' Community

I am building a work bench. I am using 2x4 for the frame. I will be using a 3/4 inch MDF for the top. What screws and settings do I need to use to attach the 3/4 inch top to the 2x4 frame?

Views: 958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Screws 1-1/4" long.

Pocket hold drill guide---set for 3/4" stock.

Drill the pocket holes in the 2x4 stock.

Route the screw thru the pocket hole into the 3/4" material.

Trent,

PS---get that job done quickly and head to Saguaro Lake for some crappie fishing.

I assumed that the pocket hole would be drilled though the horizontal 2x4's by using a Kreg Jig depth setting of 1-1/2 inches - which should result in the screw coming out at the center of the top of the 2x4.

Set the drill bit collar for the same 1.5 inch depth - so the drill tip just barely does NOT break through the surface of the 2x4.

The uncertain thing for me is exactly what screw length to use that will avoid it breaking through the top of the 3/4" table top. I think the best is to do some testing on scrap wood starting with using a 1-1/4" long screw, and then use a longer or shorter screw, depending on what your results are. If you run into troubles you may need to create a 1/4" plywood shim between the 2x4's and the 3/4 inch top to prevent the screw from breaking through.

Thank you guys!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need Help?

For Technical Support, call 800-447-8638 or send a message. Reps are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (CST). 

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

LED Lighting on mobile bench

Hi AllJust got myself a new Metabo mitre saw, kitted it out with a new Freud Pro blade as well as "pimped up" my bench with LED lighting so I can find stuff! I have 22 LED daylight tubes in my fittings in the garage so there is more than enough…Continue

Tags: blade, mitre, saw, lighting

Started by Steven Baynes in Miscellaneous Oct 8.

Ridgid tools 1 Reply

I originally bought Ridgid tools for the warranty, well I had to replace batteries. Very easy and got new batteries and chargers. Found out they don't make 24 volt tools any more, so I sent in a hammer drill, impact driver and light for replacement…Continue

Started by steve kidd in Beginners' Zone. Last reply by Glen S Oct 9.

Cabinets and the best wood choice for the carcass. 3 Replies

I am going to try and new project.  Never made cabinets before.  Researched and You-tubed like crazy.  So many opinions.  Mine are going to be:1 each= 30"W x 14"D x 38"H2 each =29"W x 14"D x 38"H1 floor to ceiling cabinet 18"W x 24"D and the height…Continue

Started by Stephanie H in Kreg Jig® Projects. Last reply by Glen S Oct 2.

1x6 into a 4x4? 4 Replies

Perhaps this question has already been asked somewhere on this forum but I wasnt able to find it after an hour or so of searching. Is there a recommended length of Kreg screw to use when combining a 1x6 into a 4x4 post. I have seen a few conversion…Continue

Tags: size, screw

Started by Dave N in Kreg Jig® Projects. Last reply by Edward Weitsman Sep 29.

Product Reviews

Kreg Project Center Work Station

The Kreg Project Center is great by itself, but 2 KPC's are better than 1 when you want to set up a 12 ft. work station in a couple minutes.…

Continue

Posted by Glenn Revheim on April 5, 2018 at 5:57am — 4 Comments

Festool Domino 500

The first thing I will do is set price aside and focus on the tool and why I bought the Domino. 

I have orders for a few dining tables and chairs.  I have made one prototype chair, while I have all the tools to make angled…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on April 2, 2018 at 5:46am

Kreg Foreman

I have built many kitchens and finally decided to buy the Foreman, because my latest kitchen consisted of 28 cabinets and I was over my hand hurting from all the drilling, moving the clamp etc., it seemed like a smart choice.

The…

Continue

Posted by justin waldron on January 8, 2018 at 4:05am — 2 Comments

Kreg K5 Jig Review

Posted by Daris R. on November 20, 2017 at 5:39pm

© 2018   Created by KregRep.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

_